Re: xserver-xorg fatal configuration

Marty,

OK, that's true, I shouldn't run "testing", since it's a bit demanding to
maintain upgrades on an enough regular basis when changes are so frequent.
It demands for almost daily hands-on-the-system in a way I haven't got time
for. That is, when etch goes stable I'll probably stick to it; these
kernels now have about enough hardware support to satisfiy most of everyday
needs.

I am a half-year newbie on Debian, which is also my only liunuix
experience so far, though very encouraging and exciting. It takes some
time, though, to detect and get aware of the tremendous amount of tools
that are available.

It has been, for example, very satisfying to rediscover text manipulating
tools like grep and sed and many others that invites to write powerful
scripts in a way that I haven't ever dreamed of using Windows, where all such
things seems to be abandoned and/or hidden for normal users since the DOS
line editors were forgotten during the development of gui systems. I feel
like having wasted years of my life cutting-and-pasting texts that would have
been suited for automated processing with the right tools (discovered them
ported to Windows also, but nobody in the winworld has ever revealed that, or
did I miss something?).

And not to mention, Imagemagick! Is there a Windows version? (Since Linux
is blacklisted on my enterprise network (reason ignorance)).

Maybe I cannot in the long run even resist to learn Emacs!

Tore

P.S. My problem is resolved by now, just by removing a silly (probably) lack
of permission setting by means of reconfiguring debconf (find a better
explanation in postings here by Olafur).