Re: OfficeJet 4110 [Was: Why do I bother?]

Brett wrote:
jlquinn wrote:

I posted several days ago about the lack of success I'm having with an HP 5440 (regular inkjet). I have hpijs installed (the debian package), but the HP tools can't find the printer and hence nothing works for me.

I see the printer device show up in the kernel log when I plug it into USB. However, beyond that, I've got a paperweight, despite the fact that this printer is supposed to work perfectly.

I have a USB mouse that works fine and I've used USB memory sticks and synched my Palm on the same machine, so basic USB appears to work.

<snip>

It looks like you've been through the debug cycle before. Would you have any suggestions?

Hmm, If I recall correctly when I installed the printer (the 4110, two years ago, with hpoj drivers) there was a whole debug procedure available to determine exactly what was going on. I cannot remember much about it now but I believe it was listed at http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/doc.shtml

HPOJ at that time did support USB connected devices so you luck with older releases perhaps. You might also find some help in the forum at http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

You may also want to check linuxprinting.org which IIRC has a database of working devices (as does hpinkjet.sourceforge.net).

I don't have any better suggestions than that sorry.

Alright, I now do have some better suggestions. Getting cups to recognise the printer wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, mostly because I had forgot all the steps and the required order of them.

Basically the steps which I did was:
1. Install hpijs, hplip, foomatic-db-hpijs (and dependencies), run hp-probe to try and detect your printer 2. I still had to goto linuxprinting.org and download the PPD file for my printer and copy it to /usr/share/cups/model
3. Open a webbrowser and goto localhost:631 (login as root)
4. Add printer (select the "hp:xxxx" device not the "usb:xxx" device)
5. It worked

There are some command line programs which are included with hpijs/hplip which *might* be useful such as: hp-align hp-clean hp-colorcal hp-info hp-makeuri hp-photo hp-print hp-probe hp-testpage hp-toolbox hp-unload

I might have had a problem with my custom built kernel, but as I was rebooting into the stock Debian kernel I also noticed that "USB" was turned off in my BIOS so I am not sure if my kernel was the problem or the BIOS (given that the USB printer was working fine just a couple of weeks ago (under Gentoo) and I haven't gone into the BIOS for a long time I don't think the BIOS setting had any difference).

If you would like to try the steps above and post your results I will try and help you as best I can (though I don't know how much help I can really give).

Users of hpijs may also be interested to note that HP released hpijs 0.9.8 on 31th Jan which includes fax sending. I believe that this version is in debian backports (backports.org). I have not tried it but would be interested to know how well it works.
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

Brett
(To BCC:'s I thought I would BCC you a copy of this as the original thread was a bit old. Sorry for any inconvenience)