permissions group sticky

Hi All

I have a java program running on a Debian sarge server. One of the things contained in it's sar file are some cgi files. During the installation of this program the original directory gets deleted and the new sar gets expanded, then I set the permissions on the cgi files. the commands used are

chmod -R 755 /path/help/admin
chmod -R g+s /path/help/admin

The files are all owned and grouped by the same user.     owner.owner
apache user is www-data
'owner' is in the www-data group
www-data is in the 'owner' group

Here is my problem. With perms set at 755 the cgi file work fine. once the g+s is set the cgi files stop working. This method works on woody, but I can not see any reason that would make a diff. Apache version is 1.3.33.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions/comments that can help?

Tony Heal
Pace Systems Group, Inc.
800-624-5999
theal@pace2020.com