Re: Using setenv DISPLAY

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:08:35AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
>   $ echo $DISPLAY
>   :0.0
>
>   $ sudo echo $DISPLAY
>   :0.0

> That seemed OK, but when I did:

>   $ sudo env | grep DISPLAY
>   [nothing returned]

> Why do I get inconsistent results? In the first case, the
> value of DISPLAY is known, but in the second when I use
> env, it is not found in the environment accessed by sudo.

In the first case, the shell expands $DISPLAY on the
command-line before sudo is executed.

sudo no longer lets DISPLAY through without you telling it
to first: actually, sudo has changed from a blacklist to a
whitelist model for environment variables. see
http://bugs.debian.org/349729 for instructions on
workarounds (and there's quite a few similar/related bugs
filed against sudo at the moment, too)

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/