Re: Dual boot comoputer

On xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, nano@xmission.com wrote:

Quoting cody chamberlain <cham0169@d.umn.edu>:

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 11:04 -0700, nano@xmission.com wrote:

Hi to all,
I had a dual boot computer, Debian and Windows XP. The motherboard in the computer failed, the motherboard was replaced( I wasn't present when the mb
was replaced) since then I can not acces debian.

what exactly is meant that you cannot access debian? is grub/lilo still
available?

On , nano@xmission.com wrote:

No, lilo is not available, the computer boots into windows. I can see the
partitions by using knoppix and partition magic (one hard drive with two
partitions)

Quoting cody chamberlain <cham0169@d.umn.edu>:

are you able to boot into your windows xp? at what point are
you not able to boot debian?

On , nano@xmission.com wrote:

Yes, I can boot into windows. The menu option to choose windows or debian is
gone. How can I restore the options to choose windows or debian?

thanks again

Fernando

From:
Andrei Popescu <andreimp@rdslink.ro>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:54:53 +0200

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 04:56:59 -0800 (PST)
Willie Wonka <floydstestemail@yahoo.com> wrote:

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat,  4 Mar 2006 00:33:39 -0700
> nano@xmission.com wrote:
> > I see you have knoppix. Boot with it. Find out what your / partition
is. I will assume it is /dev/hda2. Open a root console and type these
commands:
> > umount /dev/hda2
> mount -o rw /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
> mount -o bind /dev /mnt/hda2/dev
> chroot /mnt/hda2
> mount /proc
> grub-install
> exit
> reboot
> > This should do the trick ;) > > Andrei
> P.S. I think some steps can be ommitted, but it won't hurt if you do
them :)
Above is pretty nice - however I'm notsure how some of those command
lines help ad do whatever they do -- but just wanted to say

Actually that sequence is needed with lilo. And if you do the grub-install in the abreviated form it will install the grub present on knoppix and not the one on the system. It should work fine in most cases, but you never know ...

Fairless:

After you do the chroot, use the absolute pathname of lilo which should be /sbin/lilo

You want to use the lilo on your system to install the MBR.

But more important, I forgot grub-install needs the install device, so it should be

grub-install /dev/hda

This will put it on the MBR of the hdd.

Andrei
-- If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)

Fairless:

I also have a dual boot computer. It was necessary to get into root from Knoppix. Once I write-enabled the drive, I used the chroot command and then the full pathname of /sbin/lilo to install the MBR.

If you have trouble with the MBR being changed, you should know how to redo the MBR from Windows for another try. Since I have Windows 98SE, I can't help you with Windows XP.

   HTH's      :-)

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless, http://counter.li.org/, No. 365760.
Linux Gcomm 2.6.12-1-686 #1 Fri Jun 24 12:17:14 CEST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux