Re: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

Doofus wrote:

Can someone please tell me what `dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86` actually does?

At the end of the procedure it talks about writing two new configuration files. Where are these files? I'd assumed it was talking about /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 but mine isn't changed in any way.

If you have previously edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 by hand then `dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86` will not overwrite the XF86Config file. In such a case, the instructions to make the file overwritable through dpkg-reconfigure are provided inside the file.

So just open the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and read the first few lines of comments.

The reason I ask is I'm having an absolute nightmare of a time trying to get a X windows working on my laptop - a Dell Inspiron 8200 with 32MB nVidia GeForce2 Go graphics and a 1400x1050 pixel screen (which seems to be the real kicker).

Have you checked

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

and in particular

http://jpstrand.homeip.net/user/delli8200/delli8200.html

where they explain how to get X working under Dell Inspiron 8200.

regards
raju

Raju,

Thanks for your reply, and I apologise for not reading the config file notes properly with regard to overwriting the file.

I've looked at many web resources on this problem, and I don't know how I've missed your second link above. It looks excellent - I'll go and try setting things up again.