Re: USB-memorystick fails to mount on laptop (Sarge, kernel 2.6.8)

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 05:47:12PM +0100, jmt wrote:
> On Thursday 02 March 2006 15:34, severino@ulvedalen.dk wrote:
> > I have a problem with mounting an USB-memorystick on my laptop (HP/Compaq
> > Presario 2100)
> >
> > The laptop is a dualboot machine, and when I run Win XP there is no
> > problem with the memory-stick (except that the USB-stick is USB2.0, and
> > the port on the laptop is USB1.1)
> >
> > I can use the memorystick with my workstation running Sarge, kernel 2.4.27
> >
> > How can I make this stick work?
> >
> > /severino
> >

> I have had to reformat either CF card or usb sticks to have them usable on
> Linux (and MS) : use
> mkdosfs -I /path to your stick or card

well, that didn't work.

I can only run mkdosfs as root, and I still can't mount the memory
stick.

as root I did:
mkdosfs -I /dev/sda1

and it worked in the sense, that the LED on the memorystick flased for a
while, as long at the formation was going on. But now /dev/sda1 does not
    exist -- only /dev/sda !

If I edit /etc/fstab to have an entry for /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1
makes it possible to mount it, and copy files to it and unmount it, but
when I remount it, there is nothing.

When I mount on my workstation I get the following error:
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

If I edit /etc/fstab to /dev/sda I can mount, but no files.

mkdosfs with option -I makes no partitions, does sda1, sda2, ... reflect
those partitions?

Further guiding would be appreciated.

/severino