Re: On rtorrent

Rogério Brito wrote:

* I *do* use a powerpc here all the time with Debian. A quite old
  PowerMac 9500/180MP with a G3 replacement card and rtorrent is indeed
  available for etch here.

Well it is here now, too. I don't know why it appeared to be broken before. Perhaps I hadn't updated/upgraded recently enough, or I just caught it at a bad time. Anyway, it installed without complaint ... so now I just have to learn to use it!

I happen to live quite well with a i386 desktop that is driven
completely by Free Software (I don't have non-free currently listed in
my sources.list file).

I have some non-free codecs and fonts, but I'm not sure I have anything else. I haven't even installed (or tried to install) Java, and Flash, I guess, is out of the question on ppc. But I have to boot into OS X frequently anyway, because the monitor will not sleep under Debian (nVidia card, unfortunately). So if there is some flash website I want to see, I just wait and look at it with Camino.

Oh, BTW, if you have any suggestions for the vrms package, I'd love to
know. :-)

Heh!  I didn't even know there was such a thing.

If you don't know about moc (which is a superb audio player), I'd
recommend it, since you mentioned this intention of using more curses
applications.

No, don't know that one. I use http://www.last.fm though, and it has (open-source!) plugins only for a limited number of audio players, all of them GUI.

And I frequently use w3m, links and lynx for surfing the web (I still
haven't made up my mind---all three have their strong and weak points).

What about elinks?  I thought I might try that.

Definitely a worthy goal. And while you are at it, it may perhaps make
sense to put all your mail on your computer under an IMAP server. This
way, you can choose if you want to read your e-mail in your own computer
with mutt, with Thunderbird or from a friend's place with another
graphical MUA.

I use IMAP now, with an email host called MailSnare ( http://www.mailsnare.net ). They're a nice bunch, very good service and reasonable. I don't know if I would give them up, as the service doesn't really cost very much for my modest needs, and I like them. But I'd like to learn how to do it myself, anyway, just for fun. I would never go back to POP, though ... I'm too used to the convenience of IMAP.

Thanks for getting me to take another look at rtorrent!

--
Michael