update-rc.d questions: best practice?

Hi everyone.

I am pursing a task of establishing a procedure among my colleagues -
system administrator which will help us enable/disable services on
Debian servers.

I am considering "update-rc.d" script that is mentioned in Debian
documentation and was also mentioned on this list on a few occasions.
I have 2 questions which are not covered by either manual for
update-rc.d or the official Debian documentation:

1. How do I preserve a knowledge of priority level (K or S) for a
daemon?

For example:

When daemon is installed, some default priority values are setup.

e.g. for "amd" both K and S value are equal to 35.
  Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/am-utils ...
   /etc/rc0.d/K35am-utils
   /etc/rc3.d/S35am-utils

or for "nfs-kernel-server" K=80 and S=20.
/etc/rc5.d/S20nfs-kernel-server
/etc/rc6.d/K80nfs-kernel-server

Let assume that I disable nfs-kernel-server by setting up K=80 for all
run levels. How I am suppose to know that value of S should be equal to
20, 3 months later when I decide that I need this service. I have seen
in the past a formula K=100-S, but it obviously does not apply
universally to all daemons ( in case of AMD S=K=35).

I can purge and re-install and the package, but I do not to loose all
configuration settings.

For example

2. Is there a command/tool to display status of all services in all
runlevels. I recall that such tool existed in RedHat 8.0

/sbin/chkconfig --list

if I am not mistaken.

--
Ivan Teliatnikov