Re: question about my .muttrc and mutt

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:34:21PM -0700, Rob Sims wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 03:13:51PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > Additional information in this 'reply':
> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:30:13PM -0700, bounce-debian-user=pecondon=mesanetworks.net@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > > At the end of yesterday evening, I had a second installation of Sarge
> > > that contained the same software as the original. But with the same
> > > /home. But its not so. Mutt behaves differently in the two. For
> > > example, in one installation my posts to this list are listed as "To:
> > > debian-user..."  and in the other they are listed as "From: pecondon
> > > ..." Why?  My reading of the man page is that mutt configuration is
>
> Your earlier mail had no From: line.

My first email was actually a resend after I got a bounce. I must have
answered a question wrongly during setup of exim. When I copied the
exim setup from the old system, the new started sending email
properly. If I really want a clean new system (and I do) I'll probably
end up re-doing last nights work.

> > > all done in ~/.muttrc and that there is not a master config file in
> > > /etc. Am I mistaken? Where is another that mutt config is stored? What
> > > is the source of this difference in behavior?
>
> /etc/Muttrc and /etc/Muttrc.d/*

Thanks for the help. I had not known of these, but ...  On my computer
the two installation Muttrc files are identical (no differences
discovered by diff) and there is no Muttrc.d directory in either
installation.  I can see in /usr/lib/mutt evidence that Muttrd.d is a
legitimate part of some installations of mutt (a script that
references it), but its not there for me.  I didn't see any config
information in /usr/lib/mutt (not surprising, there shouldn't be any
according to policy) The different behavior remains a puzzle.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net