Re: unload module? for sound?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:52:45 -0500
Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

> Hello.  When I run alsaconf, it states:
>
> Terminating processes: 27420 30918 30928 30928 30928 30989 30928 (with
> SIGKILL:) 30928 (failed: processes still using sound devices:
> 31026(gnome-settings-)).
> /etc/init.d/alsa: Warning: Processes using sound devices:
> 31026(gnome-settings-).
> Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi
> snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec snd-util-mem snd-hwdep snd-bt87x snd-pcm
> snd-timer snd-page-alloc (failed: modules still loaded: snd-bt87x
> snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc).
> Building card database...
>
> It then tells me that Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10K1 is found on my
> system, asking me to configure it.  I press OK.  However, the only card
> that gets configured is Brooktree BT878, which does not exist on my
> system.  It uses snd-bt87x.  How do I unload this module?

this is the pertinent information:

> /etc/init.d/alsa: Warning: Processes using sound devices:
> 31026(gnome-settings-).
--^^^^^

this process is still using the sound device and needs to be shut-down before you can do anything. Why this module is being loaded instead of EMU10K1 is anybody's guess, but you have no hope of fixing it till alsaconf can properly unload the module. so, kill that process, run alsaconf and see what happens.