some basic gopher server questions

I just installed pygopherd and have a few questions, more or less in
comparison with HTTP servers.

Can it be configured to handle user subdirectories like the
/home/erwin/public_html/ <-> www.example.com/~erwin/
mapping in HTTPDs?

Or do I need to create a subdirectory of /var/gopher/ for each user?

Can it be configured to follow symlinks under /var/gopher/ that point
to directories outside of /var/gopher/?  (I tried it; it didn't work;
I can't find the configuration option for it.)

Are there any gopher-server HOWTOs or similar?  (I couldn't find
anything.)

Thanks.