Unable to start proftpd

I wanted to install an ftp server, so I did apt-get install ftpd, then found where by default there's no anonymous ftp access, which I want. I also noticed that the page for the ftpd package recommends proftpd or wu-ftpd instead, so I apt-get remove'd ftpd and installed proftpd, and selected inetd instead of standalone mode.

unfortunately, the server is unable to run. It says: "ProFTPd warning: not start neither in standalone nor in inetd/xinetd mode, apparently. Check your configuration." I'm using Debian Testing. What should I do?