Re: networking problem

L.V.Gandhi wrote:
My laptop is served by dhcp router. my hostname lvgdell600m.
lvgdell600m:~# cat /etc/hostname
lvgdell600m
my /etc/hosts is
lvgdell600m:~# cat  /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost       lvgdell600m
192.168.1.51    mohan
192.168.1.52    lvgdell600m
192.168.1.53    lvgdell600m
lvgdell600m:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.52
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

# wireless interface
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.53
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1
pre-up sh /etc/init.d/wpasupplicant start && sleep 5
post-up ifmetric wlan0 5

This I have done to get host name in dhcp clients table.
But my problems are
!)I don't get host name in dhcp clients table. Only windows clients
hostname appears.
2)eth0 gets IP address and GW and blocks wlan0 with GW because of
ifmetric even when eth0 cable is disconnected. This happens inspite of
ifplugd is working

Now I would like to know how linux host name appear in linksys router
 clients table?

Set the 'send host-name' in the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file.

second how to stop eth0 getting GW when cable is unplugged.
--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/

Regards Neil.