Re: no alsa-modules for 2.6

Did you try running "alsaconf" as root?
Yes I 've done it, It searched for, but there is no
driver??
it said No supported PnP or PCI card found.
Would you like to probe legacy ISA sound cards/chips?
While in 2.4 ( and another distro debian based, mepis,
knoppix...) when I ran alsaconf it found it ?

In the same machine I installed 2.4 and 2.6 with 2.4
the sound is correctly configured but not in 2.6.

at last I discovered that
The driver is snd-azx which is in alsa-modules-2.4,
but nowhere in 2.6, since no alsa-modules in 2.6

thanks for help
best regards
bela
I've had similar problems. Supposedly, alsa-modules aren't needed, since the drivers come packed with the kernel itself. However, I too have found that, sometimes, I've had luck with a 2.4 kernel, with the appropriate modules, and no luck with the 2.6 kernel image. Anyway, I'm only writing to say I've had the same problem on one computer of mine, and I've not yet been able to fix it (misery loves company, I figure). Now, blind suggestions to follow . . .

However, I'll make some suggestions anyway. Check to make sure the package alsa-oss, alsa-utils, and alsa-base is installed. Try running "dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base" (okay, I admit, I doubt this will do anything, but, hey, it always makes me feel special when I can use the "dpkg-reconfigure" command, for some reason). Still not working? Well, reboot! (and no, in spite of what others have said in the "Why do I bother?" thread, rebooting, and even backing up and then reinstalling, does NOT mean you should be using Windows). And perhaps it's still not working. Well, then, simply create the 2.6 modules from source!

You can create modules for 2.6 using the package alsa-source. Install alsa-source. Install module-assistant. Run module-assistant in the terminal to create the alsa modules from the alsa-source. Install the modules. Now try alsaconf. Check sound. Not working? Then reboot (and yes, you can still use a unix based OS even if you reboot).

Still not working? Well, install the kernel header files. Run alsaconf. Reboot, while declaring your patriotism to unix based systems (to appease some of the more humourless, uptight types here.) Try "modprobe snd-azx". Then run alsaconf.

Alas, if it's not working after even creating and installing alsa-modules, well, hopefully someone will be able to help. In reality, as I've mentioned, the alsa drivers are supposedly already there in the 2.6 kernel image, meaning that modules don't really need to be made. Like I said, I've had the same problem. I'm sure there is some very simple answer. However, I have on some machines had luck with the preceding suggestions, which is why I've made them here.

Anyway, good luck.