Re: dpkg serious warning ? help please ...

Mehmet Fatih Akbulut wrote:

hi all,
i tried to install a deb package named 'lale', but installation process failed. then tried couple of times again. each time got same error and stopped installing that package. but since then, when i try to install another package or run apt-get, i get dpkg errors related to that package 'lale'. [errors indicate that 1 not completely installed or removed package i had.] so finally i decided to purge everything under /var/lib/dpkg/info that start with lale ;)
and know i get another error which is :
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `lale' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
how can i fix such errors ?
what should i do when an installation process goes wrong ? how should i reconfigure dpkg ?
many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
MFA

I'm an aptitude person rather than an apt-get person, so I'd do:
aptitude purge lale

to get rid of the package. I think you could try that now if you have aptitude installed. I took a quick look at apt-get's man page and I don't see a purge command there, just remove which isn't quite so dramatic, but you could try apt-get remove lale and see what happens...

I think what's happened is you've wiped out the packages at a dpkg level but APT still thinks the package is there -- which is why I think sending apt-get a command to purge it will sort things out.

In general I don't advise screwing around manually with the package cache files etc, you are likely to get into a mess. If you expect APT to help you when you want to install a package (which is what using apt-get or aptitude is doing) then you basically need to use that approach to the package system every time you want to make any change, unless you are willing to research the whole APT system and the ways it interacts with the older pieces of the Debian package management system like dpkg.

Mark

PS you may get the warning again when you try to remove the package but if the operation succeeds you shouldn't get it again after that.