Re: bash history search key binding

Lei Kong wrote:

Hi all,

I am using debian testing, and the bash version is 3.1.5.
I have the following lines in my .bashrc to assign arrow keys to history search:

bind '"\M-[A":history-search-backward'
bind '"\M-[B":history-search-forward'

what does

$ bind -P | grep history

say?

It worked well before, one day, after I did a routine upgrade,
what do you mean by this? did you upgrade your system as part of your weekly/monthly routine.. or did you upgrade something in particular? Were.. bash.. the readline library upgraded as part of the process?

it stopped working. The weird thing is, the arrow key search
still works in a sudo shell.
how do you start this "sudo shell"..? does it run under the same user as the "other" shell..?

Anyone has a clue on what's wrong?
the more likely cause is that the arrow keys are no longer bound when running in the "regular shell" context.. and do get bound in the "sudo shell" .. that's why I suggest checking the output of the bind command..

just a thougt but the up arrow is normally bound by default to "previous-history" - at least that's how it is in the version of bash I am running (2.05) .. what happens when you run your "regular shell" and you hit up-arrow.. do you get the default behavior .. or nothing happens..?

Many thanks.

Lei