Unable to get usb stuff too work

I am using Debian 3.1 sarge which boasts more out of box hardware support than windows. But I do not see that this is the case. Maybe its because I downloaded it :)

Here is the deal. I am unable to use an internal USB multi flash card reader. I tried getting help on irc.debian.org #debian and users instructed me to install usb drivers and modprobe some stuff but everything is installed then they said to do the tail -f method (or something like that it was last week)  when inserting the flash card but i get nothing. What do I need to do to get this card reader too work?

This next issue is not as important but still needs to be resolved. That same tail method worked for an external USB thumb drive. But when i try and mount it with vfat it says that I am using the wrong fs type. Shouldnt it auto mount anyway?

--
Jason M Cox
314-749-6192