Re: how to configure hostname and /etc/hosts?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a notebook which I often move between sites and ocasionally use
> without network connection.
> I have set up hostname to 'fnote' and set up /etc/hosts this way:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost       fnote.local     fnote
>
> This means, that "fnote" resolves along with "fnote.local" and of course
> "localhost" to 127.0.0.1, while 127.0.0.1 resolves to "localhost" -

it should be:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain localhost

w.x.y.z		fnote.debian.org      fnote  www  oranythingelseyouwant

but real dns men, put w.xy.z and its reverse into a dns file and only
define localhost in /etc/hosts

> I've logically expected that 127.0.0.1 should always resolve to "localhost"
> and vice versa. (searching google supports this opinion)

that doesn't mean its correct

> However, when programming a script that uses `hostname -s` convention to get

bingo ... along with hostname -f, hostname -d might return values
you might not want if the wrong entries is used in /etc/hosts or dns

c ya
alvin