Re: NFS Not Mounting at Boot

On Feb 23, 2006, at 3:56 AM, Philippe De Ryck wrote:

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 19:37 -0600, Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
On Feb 22, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Philippe De Ryck wrote:

Thomas,

I'm not sure about this, but you could try adding "auto" to the
options.
The line would become something like this:

source dest nfs auto,noac... 0 0

Hope it helps!

Philippe De Ryck

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 18:41 -0600, Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
I've tried to set up NFS on two different networks, recently, and
have had a hard time getting nfs shares to mount automatically at
boot. In a recent example, both client and server are Debian systems
that use official packages for NFS.

For the client, I've got a Debian 3.1 system running 2.4.27-2-386 #1 with nfs-common 1.0.6-3.1 and portmap 5-9. For the server, I've got a Debian 3.0 system running 2.4.27 with nfs-common 1.0-2woody3 and nfs-
kernel-server 1.0-2woody3.

Here's the relevant line in /etc/fstab of the client:

nfs-server:/var/nfs-test  /var/nfs-test  nfs
noac,wsize=8192,rsize=8192	0	0

It's not that nfs won't mount at all; it just won't mount on boot. I don't see any errors in the logs on the client other than the warning about statd running as root recommending chowning /var/lib/nfs/ sm to
a different user. As far as I can tell /etc/exports is configured
correctly on the server.

The workaround for the time being is to have an /etc/init.d/ rc.local
file linked at /etc/rc2.d/S45rc.local that has the single line:

mount /var/nfs-test

This works fine. I can otherwise run the same thing at any point
after boot, and that works fine, too. I do notice that at boot, the
server is not recording authentication from the client, whereas it
does if I mount manually or explicitly.

 From what I've read (NFS-HOWTO, for instance), this should "just
work". Am I overlooking anything from a configuration standpoint or
any other potential sources of errors?

Unfortunately, including auto in the options didn't seem to affect
things one way or the other. I still don't see an authentication
attempt on the server, and the mount point is not mounted after the
boot process is complete.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

Ah, bottom-replies, the way it should be done. I've given up on that
because everyone hated it when I did it

Anyway, I'm sorry it didn't work. I don't know a solution for sure, but
I have a suggestion: can you try to mount it using "mount -a". In the
man-page of fstab I read that the auto is needed for "mount - a" (e.g: at boot time) so if it works with mount -a, it should work at boottime. It
will save you a lot of rebooting!

Maybe you can run a sniffer like ethereal to see what's happening on the
network. If you don't have X running, there are console sniffers
available (ettercap for instance).

Good luck!

Philippe

I've been off the Debian lists for a while, so I had forgotten what community etiquette here was. I didn't see anything about top-posting vs. bottom-posting in the code of conduct. I'm coming from a long spell in the postgres lists, where they hate top-posting. :)

Anyway, I was under the impression that you needed to specify noauto to prevent mount -a from including a mount point, but that auto was implied.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming

http://www.sitening.com/