Problem recording sound

Hi, I have a Creative Sound Blaster Live! card and configured it using alsaconf. It works perfectly, except that I can't record with it. I was trying to record a piece of audio from a video. So I tried using sound-record command while I was playing the video:

sound-recorder -A /dev/dsp test.wav

But all I get is a blank wav file. No sound. I also tried using arecord command:

arecord -f cd test.wav

And no results. I also tried changing the device parameter with /dev/audio, but it didn't work. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks!