Re: File attributes being set in reiserfs partitions

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 1:01, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:00:21PM +0000, David Jarvie wrote:
>> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 11:17, David Jarvie wrote:
>> >Since the latest upgrades to etch a week ago, I've found that file
attributes (as
>> >displayed by lsattr) have been getting set in my reiserfs partitions.
According to
>> >the documentation, file attributes apply only to ext2 file systems. The
attributes
>> >get set randomly on quite a few files, with the 'i' (immutable) and 'a'
(append-
>> >only) causing significant trouble since they prevent files being
overwritten and
>> >deleted. I have to log in as root and do a chattr to remove them. Quite
often a
>> >simple thing like checking out an svn branch will fail because a newly
checked out
>> >file or directory will have an attribute set so that it can't be written
to.

>> >Something is very wrong if reiserfs file systems don't use file
attributes. What
>> has
>> >changed in etch? How can this be prevented?
>>
>> I have managed to track this down. It's covered by a bug report
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=351623, and it looks like
I've got
>> off lightly - it has made some systems completely unusable. It's a bug in
the
>> reiserfs kernel module in linux-image-2.6.15-1, kernel version 2.6.15-4.
The way to
>> fix it is to add the 'noattrs' option to all reiserfs partitions
in /etc/fstab. Then
>> do a 'reiserfsck --clean-attributes' on all partitions, and remount.
>
>Are you supposed to leave the noattrs option on forever, or ply during
>the --clean-attributes?  And are the above instructions what you have to
>do to prevent the problem, or cure it?

'reiserfsck --clean-attributes' is to cure the problem if you are already
using a kernel 2.6.15 with the bug. To prevent the problem occurring on a
clean system, simply add 'noattrs' to /etc/fstab reiserfs entries before
booting up a faulty kernel. This needs to be done if you upgrade to the buggy
kernel, or if you have run 'reiserfsck --clean-attributes' to clean up. Once
the kernel bug is fixed, the 'noattrs' option won't be necessary any more.

See the above-mentioned bug report for full details.

--
David Jarvie.