Changing locale

I am changing my locale to "ta_IN". I have "export LANG='ta_IN'" in my
.bashrc, '. "$HOME/.bashrc"' in my .bash_profile, and
'. "$HOME/.bash_profile"' in my .xsession. In GDM, I am using "Default
System Session".

1. But for example, in Gnome -> Applications-menu -> Games -> Ataxx, "Ataxx"
is displayed in English even though its Launcher-properties shows that the
Tamil name is also available. What am I doing wrong?

2. I am using Debian 3.1 with many backports. Does using backports cause
problems with locale?

3. A server that I am not a superuser on, probably has a faulty
/usr/share/i18n/locales/ta_IN. How can I bypass this?

Thanks in advance.
--
http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/
http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/weblog/