Re: apache config question - China IP's

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:03:39 -0600
Michael Schurter <michael@synthesyssolutions.com> wrote:

> Kevin Coyner wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 09:41:42PM -0600, Jacob S wrote......

> >> They're looking for open proxies. People that are lazy in
> >> webserver into an open proxy. So they scan for one, similar to the
> >> way we've all seen attempts at finding open smtp gateways or
> >> easily crackable ssh passwords.
> >

> > So aside from setting up some iptables 'drop' rules, is there any
> > other way from keeping this from occuring?  It's messing up my web
> > stats since these guys are requesting more non-existent pages that I
> > have real pages on the website.
>
> You could exploit the fact that they're trying to access nonexistent
> domain names on your system by setting up your default virtual host
> to redirect them elsewhere (such as http://blackhole-1.iana.org/ or
> http://localhost/).
>
> Or if they're really using a crawler called "Crazy Bowser" you could
> pretty easily block them with BrowserMatch in Apache.  Sorry I don't
> remember what the exact line should be, but spending a few minutes at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/ should help.
>
> Using your firewall is probably the best way of blocking such
> traffic, but as a fellow sysadmin I understand that blocking entire
> IP ranges isn't really appealing.

Crazy Browser is a legitimate browser built on top of Internet
Exploder. Hence why the name Crazy fits it so well. :-) Then again, if
they're not smart enough to use Firefox or something other than IE,
maybe he would want to block them.

If it's only the stats you're worried about, you could always use a
different stats/modify your current stats program so that it only shows
valid requests. I believe awstats puts 404s in a different section, if
you configure it properly.

HTH,
Jacob