Re: OT: xfig and maps

debian wrote:

Please,

I need to draw some simple maps.  My initial idea is to use xfig.

Canals/rivers are no problem, I can use thick lines.

1.  how can I indicate roads using parallel curved lines ?
I believe you can draw one curved line, copy and paste this line by moving along horizontally or vertically. But drawing a curved line a bit tricky. AFAIK, xfig does not provide any option to draw freehand curve.

2.  how can I create re-useable objects like bridges and canal locks ?
You can group objects then cut andpaste the objects. At a later point of time, you can ungroup the objects if the need arises.

Any other suggestions ?

I used to use, xfig before. But afterwards, I shifted to Texmacs' built in drawing editor for drawing images. It can do most of the xfig's stuff and has lot of other functionalities. I dont think texmacs can do free hand curves either.

On Debian systems, you can apt-get install texmacs.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/