Problem when upgrading to X.org

Hi,

Yesterday I ran the first apt-get upgrade on my unstable machine
in a few months.

Predictatbly there were lots of packages to upgrade. There
were also many that were held back. So I ran apt-get install
for many of these held back packages, not paying that much
attention to what they were - only watching out for other
packages that would end up being removed (this was rather
stupid in retrospect).

As I got to a set
of X packages, the configuration asked me to choose between
Xfree86 and x.org .  This was new to me, so I thought - why
not make the switch and selected x.org.

During unpacking, x11-common gave the error:

trying to overwrite '/etc/X11/Xsession.options' which is also
in package xfree86-common

apt then stoped. it also will not allow me to install anything else
until x11-common is installed. On reset, X will not start.
Furthermore startx seems to be missing.

The version of x11-common that gives this error is
6.9.0.dfsg.1-4_all

Can anyone shed any light on this or do I just have to wait
for -5  ? Does anyone know when that's going to be released?

Asa