Re: Clock jumps forward.

On Sunday 19 February 2006 18:26, Mirko Parthey wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:53:09PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> > Ntpdate is what I am using. Maybe the setup needs be changed.
>
> Which timeservers are you getting the time from? (see /etc/default/ntpdate)
> Do they provide the correct time?
>
> Try "/etc/init.d/ntpdate start", and look in /var/log/syslog for new
> entries from ntpdate.

I once had the default file to a server which was placed in my firewall's
"dmz". Guess what. /etc/default/ntpdate is 0-length.

> If you are using pool.ntp.org, a server is randomly chosen from the pool.
> You might want to configure ntpdate to always use the same server(s) -
> this makes it easier to analyze the problem.
>
> For debugging, you can also use the command "ntdpate -b -u SERVER", so
> the output is sent to your terminal rather than syslog.

I have no entries in my logchecks for ntp. Running the above command to the
pool yields NO server which is accessable--in other words, the one I was
using is no longer available there. Allowing ntp outside the dmz from "pool"
seems to most often be hitting the same one so I will put that in the dmz.
Might be best in the long run to use the pool, though a tiny bit less secure
needing to allow many of them through the firewall.

In other words, the thing has not been working for a while. Funny no error
messages in the logchecks. Reinstall and dpkg-reconfigure did not give me a
new default ntpdate file so a made a new one with
NTPSERVERS="213.222.11.213". Simply using the pool will try a bunch until
hitting this one. Having the file should take it from there.