Re: fetchmail broken after etch update - a kludgy fix

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:38:38AM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Hello, all:
>
> I did my weekly aptitude update on my etch system yesterday.  It included an
> upgrade of fetchmail.  When asked whether I wanted to replace the
> configuration file, I declined, because I had a customized line in there
> which I wanted to keep:
>
> OPTIONS="--daemon 300 --syslog"
>
> But apparently, in declining, I failed to set an environment variable,
> START_DAEMON, which the new /etc/init.d/fetchmail wants to be there.  If

I have the OPTIONS and other things in the /etc/fetchmailrc, which is
the configuration file for fetchmail.

The /etc/init.d/fetchmail is looking at the /etc/default/fetchmail. So,
how about doing what it says, i.e. edit the /etc/default/fetchmail.
Mine has START_DAEMON=yes as an only line in there.

Also note that the mode of the /etc/default/fetchmail is 0600.

> it's not, the script bails out because of the following lines:
>
> if [ ! "x$START_DAEMON" = "xyes" ]; then
>        echo "Edit /etc/default/fetchmail to start fetchmail"
>        exit 0
> fi
>
> I tried 'dpkg-reconfigure fetchmail' but it simply gave me the above error
> message.
>
> Temporarily, I have commented out the above lines, and my fetchmail is
> working again, but obviously that's a kludge.  Any suggestions as to how I
> can clean things up?
>
> Thanks
> Patrick

HTH