long term problem with firefox cpu usage ocntinues

Upgraded recently to firefox 1.5, andhtought for a while that my
longstanding issues with cpu usage were solved.  Now I'm having the
same problems I had long ago -- cpu up to as high as 98+ percent when
opening new tabs, loading certain pages, performing actions like
e.g. quitting firefox.

I have several extensions and perhaps they are to blame, ubt I find it
amazing that this application can be so cpu greedy.  I've been tracing
the cpu usage using 'top', but it would be nice if I could get a more
specific sense of what is causing the issue.  arethere other tools
that one oculd use to diagnose this problem?  and is there anyone out
there who had had, and then solved, a similar issue?  SOmetimes the
behaviour can be quite disconcerting -- for instance, as I've been
writing this issue, cpu has remained in the 90%+ range even though I
was able to successfully close all open windows in tht time.  So
firefox is still eating cycles, eventhough the windows are all gone.

so it would bereally niceto know what exactly makes firefox behave
this way.

Thanks,

Matt

 .''`.       Matt Price