Need xserver-xorg 6.8.2 debs (was Re: Xorg not working with Matrox G550?? MGAGetBOARDHANDLESize)

What the hell is going on with Xorg?  I did a dist upgrade again to
xserver-xorg 6.9.0 and again I can't get X to start.

Last time this came up I had to downgrade xserver-xorg to 6.8.2 but
now I don't have that .deb around any more.  Where can I grab the old
packages?

Seems like the driver that comes with xserver-xorg requires the
mga_hal driver.  So I install the driver from the Matrox site then I
get an "undefined" symbol error for "MGAGetBOARDHANDLESize"

Then I see a bug report that says:

    This user was using the proprietary mga_hal driver, which we can't
    support.  Closing this bug, which he's fixed by removing this
    module.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Ok, so where is MGAGetBOARDHAANDLESize defined?

matrox_driver-x86-4.3.0/xserver/6.8.2$ strings mga_drv.o  | grep BOARD
MATROXGetBOARDHANDLESize

I try (!@#!@) again using both mga_drv and mga_hal from the Matrox driver
package.  Note that the Matrox package has static drivers and not .so
drivers.

Then I get a TON of unresolved symbols

Required symbol vgaHWGetIndex from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o is unresolved!
Required symbol vgaHWSetMmioFuncs from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o is unresolved!
Required symbol vgaHWGetIOBase from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o is unresolved!
Required symbol vgaHWMapMem from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o is unresolved!
[...]

Do you realize how hard it is to heave a 21" CRT across the room?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org