Re: Laptop battery

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, john gennard wrote:
> 	a. Is it harmful to use the Laptop with Adapter
> WITHOUT any battery on board?

You have got a IBM ThinkPad.  It is higly doubtful that the machine would
care if the battery is plugged in or not, but it is certain that if it does,
the manual warns against doing so.

If you're missing yours, ask in the linux-thinkpads ML, someone there with
an original manual of a T20 will be able to answer your question.  That is,
if the stuff at thinkwiki.org and at IBM's website doesn't answer your
question.

http://thinkwiki.org (must know site for all ThinkPad owners)
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Maintenance  (how to take care of batteries)
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T20  (The ThinkPad T20)

> 	b. The way things are set up, the battery always
> seemed to 'leak' a little and each time I booted up the
> indicator would say eg '97% charged' and then go to 'fully
> charged' very quickly. So topping up was constantly taking

If the battery is so damaged/spent so as to be dead, it is very possible
that it will leak like crazy by itself, as some of the cells will be
inverted or shorted.

> place and this would seem to have been a bad thing. Could
> this have created the memory block referred to in the replies?

The Li-ION cells degrade with time. That degradation is enhanced by use and
temperature, and it is greatly enhanced by wrong usage patterns.  Keeping it
always topped off is one of the bad usage patterns, and kills a Li-ION
battery that much faster.

  Henrique Holschuh