Re: enabling wireless

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:52:23AM -0600, David Berg wrote:
>I just switched my laptop from the default ubuntu install to Debian
>Sarge and the Atheros wireless card (pci not pcmcia) is not recognized
>as wireless.  iwconfig sees it but says there are supposedly "no
>wireless extentions".  Can I get this functional without building my
>own kernel?
>
>I'm running the stock sarge 2.6.8 kernel for 686.  I'm sure I simply
>haven't loaded a module but can't seem to find the right one.

I'll be wandering into this territory later today, since I got an ADSL
connection yesterday (yippie, going from broadband back to dial-up is
painful, it's even more painful when BT is screwing around for a year
before the telephone line is even able to dael with ADSL)... Sorry, I'll
try to control my irritation over BT's incompetence.

Is the correct kernel module(s) loaded. I found the package
madwifi-source, and you might need to compile it before all the required
modules are available on your system.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
     -- Hector Louis Berlioz