many segfaults scrolled by when updating with aptitude now X won't start

Last night I was doing a long overdue update on a system I use mostly
for learning.  Many things must have gone horribly wrong during the
update as a result of all of the segfaults, but aptitude seemed to
think it was a success.  I'm not sure what all is broken, but I know
that X for sure is broken, and no amount of forcing reinstallation of
packages has worked so far.

What I want to do is two fold.  I want to tell debian to just go
ahead, and try to reinstall everything, as it is probably still in the
package cache, and I can't think of any other way to make sure all
files got saved in place, and that the scripts in the packages got
executed.  And I want to check for stray files that may not have been
deleted due to something like a segfault when it was attempting to rm
a file.

I feel like there has got to be some tools to do this kind of thing,
but I haven't been able to figure out what can do either of those
tasks yet after several hours of trying to figure it out on my own.