USB is fickle

Running Sarge with Linux 2.6.8-2-k7. It might be pertinent to know
that I'm using Gnome under XFree for my GUI.

When mounting a digital camera on my machine, I get one of two
reactions from the system - the camera mounts, allows me to copy (but
not remove) files, and if I unplug without unmounting the device, the
entire system will freeze; or, I will plug in the camera, and the
camera will come to life, however the system will not acknowledge the
existence of the camera.

The latter case is generally reproducible if the system is up for
longer than maybe a day, however I've noted it can happen at any
time.  The former case is interesting - I cannot delete images from
the camera by way of the prompt or wm (the session will hang if I
attempt it, and I can't even 'kill -9' the session), and if I unplug
the camera in this state, the entire system will wedge hard.  If I'm
in a console, I will get an error resembling "ohci:0000:00:07.00:
wakeup" or something like that.  (The exact error text is on a slip of
paper in front of my keyboard at home; I'm logged in remotely.)

In short, what should I look for to solve these problems?  Nothing is
popping up in the syslog othe than an address failure occasionally,
but that doesn't seem to necessarily be connected.

-Dennis Carr