Tar: "Error exit delayed from previous errors"

I'm using the current tar version from Unstable to back up my home
partition.

If I do "tar -cvf home.tar  /home/ac" everything seems to go correctly
but ends with the message "Error exit delayed from previous errors".

However, the resultant home.tar file appears to be OK (I can extract it
without evident errors).

Google shows a number of references to this problem but none seems
particularly relevant.

I don't much like relying on files that have been generated with this
error. Any ideas? Can I ignore it?

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian