Re: moving (and losing?) partitions with cfdisk

Mike, I'm going to have to add you to my holiday card list, regardless
of what happens :)

I triple-checked that I'm trying to mount the correct partition and
did it without using fstab, and that's not the problem, for example:

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo umount /mnt  (to unmount the root partition)

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/home
mount: error while guessing filesystem type
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

-t ext2 or -t ext3 doesn't help (it's ext3).

I'm going to call it a night and see if if there's any more advice by
morning, then start making changes to hda in the morning when I'm more
awake.  Yeah, I do need the machine for work, and have learned a good
rule 0 as you pointed out:  don't mess with the partition table while
on the road.  It seems like I've messed with quite a few partition
tables without any problems, and I guess I got brash :(.

I will certainly keep you posted.