Re: AMD 64 X Intel 32

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 17:29 -0500, Iuri Sampaio wrote:
> I have two laptops and I need to decide which one is the best. The
> best in a long term, (i.e.: quality, performance, scalability and etc)
>
> So I’d like to hear from you guys which one would be my choice
>

> Compaq AMD Athlon64 2.0GHz
Debian-amd64 absolute blew me away (on a couple of 1.6ghz Semprons!)

> 1GB RAM
>
> 80 GB Hard Disk
>
> Video card: ATI Radeon 128mb dedicated.
Contrary to what many people will tell you, the ATi driver *does* work
perfectly fine with X.Org.  I have an HP nx6125 with ATi graphics, and I
have had not one problem.

> Sony VAIO Intel 32bits 1.86ghz
Pentium-M or Celeron?

Even if it is Pentium-M, having worked with both extensively I'd put my
money on the AMD

I think you're decision should be about how the rest of the kit in both
notebooks are supported.  The nx6125 has a couple of things that need
fairly recent kernels/drivers - ATI motherboard chipset, broadcom
wireless, etc.  But everything works (except I haven't tried the modem
yet) just fine.

Hans