Re: Video Driver

Henrique Rennó wrote:
> One more question.
>
> When I boot my system directly to X (passing 5 at inittab) it stops at
> a login screen and it enters in blackbox (the X manager that I am
> using) but without running bbkeys. I've put the "/usr/bin/bbkeys &"
> command in the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file before "/usr/bin/blackbox"
> but it just works if I boot at level 3 and type startx in the shell.
> I've tried copying the xinitrc file to ~/.xinitrc but it didn't work
> too.

~/.xinitrc is read when X is started via startx.
Try ~/.xsession
http://cs-www.bu.edu/help/unix/the_.xsession_file.html

BTW is good practice to edit ~/.xinitrc instead of
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc unless you want it globally changed.

>>I have an Acer Aspire 3002LCI laptop with Debian Sarge 3.1 installed
>>on it and I'm using the VESA driver which gives me a resolution of
>>640x480. I want to know what driver I must choose when running
>>xf86config to get better resolutions.
>>
>>My lscpi (just what is related to video):
>>
>>0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 760/M760
>>Host (rev 03)
>>0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661FX/M
>>661FX/M661MX/741/M741/760/M760 PCI/AGP
>>
>>I've tried some sis drivers but they don't start X normally, leading
>>me to a black screen. If it happens and I type CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE I
>>return to the shell (without seeing it) and I can type commands
>>normally.

You should try to configure X to use the SiS drivers, you won't regret
it later on.
Check this site for hardware support:
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

jorge