Re: chkrootkit response

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 07:27, Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 02:46:48AM -0500, Stephen wrote:
>> Is this a valid response or false positive ?
>>
>> /etc/cron.daily/chkrootkit:
>> eth0: PACKET SNIFFER(/sbin/dhclient[1102])
>
>False positive; it's because that program has your ethernet interface
> in promiscuous mode. For dhclient, this is completely normal, it
> needs to do this to function correctly.

The machine I got that sample response from in the last post, doesn't
have a utility named dhclient on it, so I cannot confirm that this is
correct.  It probably is though.

Friggin vz blocks port 80 so we can't run our own web pages.  And they
are the only game in town...:(

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: