Re: Debian workstations in a school environment

Philippe De Ryck wrote:

Hello,

I'm a network administrator in a highschool in Belgium. Right now all
our workstations run Windows. There is however a possibility for me to
convert some old machines that have quite some trouble running XP
smoothly to linux. The problem is however that I'm not that experienced
managing linux workstations.

I've been a linux user for quite some time now (about 3 years) and I
like debian (and ubuntu). There's however a big difference between my
computer and public computers at school. I want things as secure as
possible, and lockdown as tight as possible.

I was wondering if there are any documents (there must be!) available on
these issues. I know it is possible, I've seen machines that disallow
console login (only X was allowed) and a whole lot else. I can't seem to
get much useful out of google ...

Hope anyone can help me

Kind regards

Philippe De Ryck

If you want to run a Debian network, have a look at scolelinux http://www.skolelinux.org/portal/product/ . Its Debian-based (though using and old kernel IIRC). The installation CD can install a server, a client (including thin client), or be used by pupils to install the system on their home PC.

If you want to run a network with mixed Linux and Windows clients (using Samba), have a look at the ebox plaform http://ebox-platform.com/ . It runs on Debian Sarge. Security looks good and everything is managed from a simple admin screen. This may suit you better.

I expect that you will want to put a Debian server on your network for the Linux clients. This may lead you eventually to replace your Windows file servers completely, thus saving money for further investment in Linux!

Good luck.
Chris.