/dev and chroot with debootstrap

When I chroot into an environment created by debootstrap, /dev is
visible but /dev/evms is not.  This is unfortunate, since the new
system is based entirely on volumes from /dev/evms.  2.6.14 kernel.

I've worked around this by doing all the mounts from outside the
chroot, but this is getting tedious and it seems something is wrong
here.

I'd also like to improve the installation manual about building a new
install from a running system (
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apds03.html).
D.3.4.1 says to run mount -a after chroot, but this fails because
/dev/evms doesn't exist.

Here are some theories about what the problem is:
1. I've missed something.
2. The manual is incomplete.
3. debootstrap is incomplete (somehow it should setup dev appropriately).
4. udev is missing something (someone on debian-boot says udev won't
run inside a chroot).
5. evms needs to cater to this situation.

I'm not entirely clear if the newer kernels require udev or not.  They
certainly can't use devfs, which was removed.

There's a technology overload going on: evms requires that /dev/evms
be available.  I'm guessing this depends on udev with recent kernels.
udev requires procfs, but that is not mounted in the chroot (though it
can be mounted, and would be mounted if the mount -a worked).

I notice that the debootsrap created system does not have the udev
package installed.  I wonder if it should for newer kernels (running
2.6.14).

Any ideas?

Ross Boylan