Re: XOrg+Radeon = No Direct Rendering?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:14:32 -0600
Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> wrote:

> > > Section "Device"
> > > 	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon R250 Lf
> > > [FireGL 9000]" Driver		"radeon"
> > > 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
> > >
> > > 	Option	"UseInternalAGPART" "yes"
> > > 	Option	"RenderAccel" "true"
> > > 	Option	"AccelMethod" "EXA"
> > > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >         Identifier      "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R200 QL [Radeon
> >                           8500 LE]"
> > 	Driver          "ati"
> >         BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > I don't know if it is valid to specify radeon any more? I had a
> > problem with it at one point and when I did 'dpkg-reconfigure
> > xserver-xorg' it wasn't shown as an option anymore. I never tried any
> > of the extra options so I don't have any input to give there.
>
> Yes, radeon is still valid. I'm still using it. Both radeon and ati
> seem to work for my 9200, but radeon is slightly faster in my
> experience.

I played around with the options, this is what I got now and it works
for me.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R200 QL [Radeon
8500 LE]" Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "AGPFastWrite" "yes"
        Option          "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
EndSection

: Render acceleration is enable by default so no need to specify

Adding the EXA option dropped the performance shown by GLX Gears, but
it works.

Adding the AGPFastWrite increased the frame rate reported by GLX Gears,
but not even one quarter as much as it dropped by adding the EXA option.

Tried setting the agp mode to 4, but that just kills my system when X
tries to initialize so didn't play with that any more.

Before I played with the options GLX Gears was reporting frame rates
above 2000 now it is reporting around 1972.

Later, Seeker