Re: hd 160GB problem

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 12:59 -0800, Robert Kopp wrote:

> --- mess-mate <messmate@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > i don't know if i've to config something to have a
> > normal accès to a
> > HD of 160GB.
> >
> > I've setted 'hdparm -d0 /dev/hdb' = no DMA; without
> > that couldn't
> > accès the HD.
> > I've also a message 'Warning: could not read block
> > 0: Attempt to
> > read block from filesystem resulted in short read'
> > on a mkfs.ext3 ...
> >
> > And after mounting a partition on it, can't no more
> > unmount it.
> > The activity hd-led remains on.
> >
> > The hd is a western Digital with 2MB cache geometry
> > 19457/255/63
> >
> > Any help would be very appreciated
> >
> I think most large-disk problems are due to BIOS
> limitations. You need to have LBA48 support, or get a
> controller that provides such support. I'm using a
> 160GB drive right now, with no special precautions.

You'd have to have a *really* old mobo for it not to have LBA48
support in 2006.

I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't having issues with the chipset
driver.

What mobo do you have, what chipset is in it, and what kernel and
version are you running?  kernel-image, kernel-sourse, kernel.org?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I went home with a waitress the way I always do. How was I to
know she was with the Russians, too?"