Re: source for downloadable music?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:54:09AM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:58:22AM -0600, Matthew Lenz wrote:
> > www.emusic.com no drm.   not going to have every last song you'll want but
> > they ahve a decent selection.  or did last time I looked
> >
> > -Matt
>
> Thanks for the tip.  I found 0 or 4 songs I looked for there,
> unfortunately.  The music locator at altavista.com seems to work
> pretty well, though downloading stuff from random unknown sites makes
> me a bit nervous.
>
> Ross

It may be that there is no good, legal solution for Linux yet:
emusic.com works very well, but reminds me of public libraries around
here: It can be enjoyable if you aren't looking for anything specific.
On the other hand, most of what altavista.com finds appears to be
illegal.
For me, the solution right now is to just buy the CDs and rip the
songs myself. Not the cheapest solution, but probably the best
compromise between convenience and honesty.
It is cool, by the way, that rhapsody.com works on Linux these days.
Who knows: Maybe one day, they'll even support burning your stuff to
CD on Linux.

just my 2 cents
 --j