Re: hd 160GB problem

On Friday 10 February 2006 14:44, mess-mate wrote:
>Hi,
>i don't know if i've to config something to have a normal accès to a
>HD of 160GB.
>
>I've setted 'hdparm -d0 /dev/hdb' = no DMA; without that couldn't
>accès the HD.
>I've also a message 'Warning: could not read block 0: Attempt to
>read block from filesystem resulted in short read' on a mkfs.ext3 ...
>
>And after mounting a partition on it, can't no more unmount it.
>The activity hd-led remains on.
>
>The hd is a western Digital with 2MB cache geometry 19457/255/63

Linux's compatibilty with hard drives is legendary IME.  Such activity,
or should I say lack of it would make me reboot to the os the drives
maintainance utilities on the accompanying cd expects to work with, and
run the diagnostics contained on the cd. I'd very nearly bet a bottle
of Rock Green Lite (I'm diabetic) that its toasted, and stale toast
should be warrantied, or if new, returned for credit against a Seagate
with its 5 year warranty.

That said, I currently have at least 4 wd's spinning merrily away in
this room, some of them over 5 years old.  Newest is a 200GBer.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: