Re: your mail - Matrox video card help on Alpha

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:04:20 -0600
Steve Block <scblock@ev-15.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:29:23PM -0500, hcohen14@optonline.net wrote:
> >Which video card is supported for a DEC Alpha?
> >
> >I have installed Debian Linux v. 3.1 (sarge) for an Alpha computer system.  I am using a DEC Alpha motherboard 164-LX running at 533 MHZ.  I have tried using a Matrox Millennium II video card in both MGA and VGA modes and have been getting an xfree86 server crash saying that the "screen is not found".  I have also tried an older Trident video card running it in VGA mode with the same error.
> >
> >I would like to know which video card is supported for a DEC Alpha by Debian Linux without having to modify the kernel?  I am sure that someone is out there who is actually running a system like mine with a working video card?  I would like to know the make and model of the card that you are using and the extent to which it works.
> >
> >I am looking ahead for a reply that can be helpful to me in getting this system running in x-windows mode with bothe the KDE and Gnome desktops.
>
> I can't answer your question but I can suggest that you use an
> appropriate subject in your emails so that those who just skim the list
> can see what you're asking about.

true 'dat... OP "screen not found" wouldn't have anything to do with the video drivers necessarily.. it could mean that there is no screen defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "rosewill gf 6600"
    Monitor     "Sceptre"
    DefaultDepth 24

you can try #xorgconfig if you haven't configured an xorg.conf file yet... have your specs handy.

Shawn Lamson
slnj@optonline.net