Configuring pcmcia cards at boot-up

Hi,

I'm trying to use an old Toshiba Satellite laptop as a gateway. To do this I use two ethernet pcmcia cards (both 3c589), one connected to the cable modem (external interface), one connected to a switch (internal interface).

What I want is (1) to have both cards permanently plugged in ("cold plugged") and (2) to have both interfaces configured during boot-up.

I worded out how to configure the file /etc/network/interfaces to allow for the two cards to be hotplugged, so I can FIRST boot up, THEN insert both cards into the slots, and they get automatically configured. I also worked out how to configure the same file to allow for the external interface card to be plugged in before boot-up, and to be configured during boot-up, but this only works if the second card is not yet plugged in! As soon as both cards are plugged in at boot up, the external interface card doesn't get configured properly, resulting in no connectivity.

Can somebody please tell me which files need to be configured and how?

The ethernet howto has a section discussing the configuration of two ethernet interfaces, but I remember having read somewhere that this only applies to PCI cards, not PCMCIA cards.

Specifications: Debian Sarge, kernel 2.4.27-2-386, on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS. The ethernet cards are both 3c589.

Thanks, Udo K.