instructions for switching to kernel 2.6 on Debian Sarge?

Where are instructions on how to upgrade to kernel 2.6 (ideally,
specifically in Debian's Sarge release)?

The instructions I've found so far are quite sketchy.  (For example,
although I have found instructions that tell me that my mouse is no
longer at /dev/psaux but is now at /dev/input/mouse (or .../mouse0
or .../mice), they don't say what all I need to do to get /dev/input
or /dev/input/mouse to appear in the first place.)

Are there any Debian-specific instructions out there (e.g., specifying
which packages (beside udev and its prerequisites) I need to install
and what other changes I might need to make (e.g., mounting new special
file systems (/sys? /dev?), dropping or changing old special filesystems
or real directoryes (/dev?), etc))?

If not, are they any non-Debian-specific instructions that explain
what all is needed?

(This is for a fairly basic desktop system--non-USB keyboard and
mouse, USB only for camera and other lower-priority devices.)

Thanks,
Daniel