Re: ntp strangeness

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:18:38AM -0500, Ken Wahl wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 02:57:11AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Sounds like your mobo is messed up.  My old mobo (a Shuttle SK41G)
> > drifted ~0.05 every 3 hours.  My new board (an Abit KV-81), drifts
> > more than 1/2 a second every 3 hours.
>
> I had considered that at first but my gut still tells me that's not the
> case. It was keeping perfect time with NTP until a big dist-upgrade and
> a reboot. The board is 15 months old - an Abit AN7.
>
> > Also, have you checked chrony?  It is an independent implementation
> > of the ntp protocol.
>
> I've heard of it but not tried it. I did try the openntp package before
> NTP but tossed it for reasons I can't remember. I'm holding out to see
> if a fix for bug  #342887 corrects things or not. The original bugreport
> sounds exactly like the same symptoms I've been having.

I believe chrony not only checks the time with time servers, it also
compensates in some way for hardware clock drift.
I use it on my boxes.  It doesn't seem to talk through IP-masquerading.
So I have chrony running on my IP-masquerading box and have the others
talk to that one.

I no longer have any problems with clock drift.

-- hendrik