Re: localhost -- MARK -- ????????

Rob Blomquist wrote (09-02-2006 06:41):
On Wednesday 08 February 2006 8:31 pm, Alexander Schmehl so eloquently stated:

That's just your syslogs way to say "I'm still alive and bored".  Note
the 20 minute intervalls between the entries.

Interesting. I have never had syslogd become bored with any other distro. And now, I learn that Debian is boring.

These marks are very useful if you have a server that locks up for some unknown reason. Looking at the last mark in the syslog will give you an idea about when it happened, which can often be a help tracking down the cause of the problem.

More that saying its bored, the systems tells you its still alive, which is nice to know.

I have an entry in /etc/syslog.conf which says

*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
        auth,authpriv.none;\
        cron,daemon.none;\
        mail,news.none          -/var/log/messages

If you change it to

*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
        auth,authpriv.none;\
        cron,daemon.none;\
        mail,news,mark.none     -/var/log/messages

you won't get the MARK messages, and thanks to Murphy you will soon miss them :-)

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)